Jaskirt Kaur Boora is an award-winning visual artist whose work focuses on a socially engaged practice, working with local communities in the West Midlands. She is interested in celebrating untold stories while exploring visual representations of gender, ethnicity and place.
Boora creates work with the aim to empower and give voice to marginalised communities. Currently she is working on People, Place and Sport in partnership with Multistory and Birmingham 2022 Festival, with multiple outdoor exhibitions taking place in Sandwell and Birmingham from April - August 2022.
In 2021 she collaborated with women's refuge Birmingham Crisis Centre and published a zine, Aurat ki Himmat. Both projects explore personal stories through portraits, details of place and conversations through workshops and interviews.
In December 2021 Boora won the BJP Portrait of Britain award for her portrait of Dr Mavi, and in September 2021 Boora won the RBSA 2021 Photography prize for her image of Aabidah Shah, both taken from the body of work Birmingham Lockdown Stories. This work was commissioned by GRAIN Projects in 2020, exhibited at the international Format Festival 2021, and in January 2021 sold out as Boora's first self published book.
Boora’s work has been exhibited nationally, including Wembley stadium and Manchester’s People Museum, and has been widely published, including in The Sunday Times. Boora has also been the recipient of awards including the Photo Imaging Council Award and the Magnum & Ideas Tap Sports Award for her work on Women's Football and Everyday Olympian.
Selected Commissions | Projects | Artist Residencies
- People, Place and Sport project, 2021. Working in Partnership with Multistory and Birmingham Commonwealth Games Cultural Festival. Awarded Arts Council England project grant.
- Publication of Aurat ki Himmat (A Woman's Strength) zine. A HG31 Homegrown commission collaborating with women's refuge Birmingham Crisis Centre, 2020-21.
- Stans Cafe portrait commission for Inside project with Billesley Primary School, 2021.
- Coventry Culture commission to photograph cyclists for the Gearing Up exhibition at Coventry Transport Museum and along the Coventry canals, 2020-21.
- GRAIN Projects commission Birmingham Lockdown Stories, 2020.
- Multistory commission of Mitti Di Khushboo for the Blast! Photography Festival, 2018-19.
- Kalaboration & Cultural Olympiad commission for Everyday Olympian, 2012.
- Fierce Festival artist residency, 2012.
- MAC (Midland Art Centre) labs artist residency, 2010.
- Terre Sont Frontiere, Tangier, Morroco artist residency, 2009.
- Arts Council England project grant for British Asian Musicians, 2008.
- BJP Portrait of Britain 2021 - Dr Mavi from Birmingham Lockdown Stories
- Shortlist for Women behind the lens award with An Indian Summer 2021 for work on Mitti di Khushboo
- RBSA Photography Prize 2021 - Aabidah Shah from Birmingham Lockdown Stories
- Ideas Tap & Magnum Sports Award - Everyday Olympian body of work, 2012
- Photo Imaging Council Award for Women's Football body of work, 2007
Socially Engaged Workshops
In recent years Boora has expanded her practice to include participatory workshops with people in her community. This informs and sometimes is the project itself that she works on.
- People, Place and Sport project included two series of 6 workshops with elder women (50+) and young girls exploring their life in sport, 2021.
- Women's Refuge, Birmingham Crisis Centre, 2020-Ongoing.
- SAMPAD workshops with young people in response to the Dyche Archive collection, 2021.
- GRAIN Projects leading art workshops with Coventry Migrant and refugee Centre and youth group Grapevine, 2021.
- GRAIN Projects commission Birmingham Lockdown Stories, included Zoom workshops, 2020.
Boora's work has been exhibited in group and individual exhibitions. Here are some of the places her work has been exhibited:
- RBSA Photography Exhibition, 2021
- Lightwoods house, as part of the Blast! Photography Festival 2019
- Derby Format Festival, 2011 & 2021
- Wembley Stadium
- Ethihad Stadium
- Manchester's People Museum
- Lighthouse Gallery, Wolverhampton
- The Public, West Bromwich
- Coventry University Gallery
- St Brendan's, Bristol
- South Korea
- UN Headquarters NY
- Tangier Cinematoque, Morrocco
- The Drum, Birmingham
- New Arts Exchange, Nottingham
- Digbeth Art Gallery, Birmingham
- AOP Gallery, London
- Foto8 Summershow, London
- Nishkam Centre, Soho Road, Birmingham
- Outdoor on public buses in Coventry
- Midlands Art Centre, Birmingham
Boora has self published her work, as well as having had her work featured in major publications. Here are some of the publications her work has featured in:
- Aurat ki Himmat (A Woman's Strength) zine, 2021
- Birmingham Lockdown Stories Book, 2020
- The Sunday Times Magazine
- The Guardian newspaper
- British Journal of Photography
- V&A British Asian Style book
- Format Festival publication
- Work Show Grow 2021 United publication
- Fierce festival publication
- Plastic Childhoods, 2020, book by Peter Kraftl
- No Go Press zine publication
- Metro newspaper
- Time of India newspaper
- Redeye blog
- Open Eye Gallery Blog
- Eastern Eye newspaper
- Desi blitz website
- Birmingham Post
- Birmingham Mail
- BBC Asian Network podcast
- BBC WM live radio show
Teaching | Lecturing | Work Experience
- Birmingham City University (Visiting Lecturer) 2021-Ongoing
- King Edward Sixth Form College, Nuneaton, (Lecturer in Photography) 2012-2021
- Wolverhampton University (Visiting Lecturer) 2019-20
- Coventry University (Assistant Photography Lecturer) 2012
- St Brendan's Sixth Form College (2010-12)
- BBC Asian Network, broadcast assistant and interactive content producer, 2006-2010
- 2004 - 2007: First Class BA Hons Communication, Culture and Media, Coventry University
- 2009-10: PGCE Cert Ed, Wolverhampton University